Friday, October 12, 2012

50,000 Words. 30 Days. 0 Excuses. (Well maybe...)

As a writer, I hadn't cut my teeth on anything serious. I didn't have a genre I was writing for, I didn't have regular discipline.

And then 8 years ago, I was introduced to the idea of NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writer's Month. It was a little idea back then: start writing. aimed for 50,000 words and get it done in November. The idea being, instead of just talking about all the writing you want to do was to make it a priority and just write. And get it out. Make all the ideas real.

For the next 7 Novembers, I wrote like I had never written before. I was given introduction into the world of self-publishing, and then I published 3 books through the same venue.

I went from just talking about the book and being satisfied that the information was out of my head in a digital file. And then, I got to hold it in my hands. That feeling of knowing what it looks like and how it feels to hold the thing I have spent the most time on has never felt any better.

So year 8 is upon me. This is more than 2600 words a day roughly. This is about knowing what works, being committed to the outcome above all else.

I have a few more obstacles this year than any other year. I'm always constantly distracted by a lot of issues at hand. I will finish.

50,000 words. 30 days. 19 days left until I can sign up. I cannot wait to get at this. Even though I don't have a plot yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment