Sunday, November 2, 2014

Why NaNo2014?

Or better yet, why NaNo at all?

As a person who generally walks down the street, I am normally not thinking about the sidewalk, or things I see, hear, or smell specifically in much detail. My world lives and dies the way I write, the way I think, and the way I need to convince someone else to think.

Writing is probably the easiest way for me to do this. I've been very reluctant orally to express my thoughts.

But while I write describing every last item within reach of my characters, I know completely that over half of that dribble will be cut away. None of it matters, but it mattered to me because I am trying to build a world that I know almost nothing about even if it is very similar to my own world.


So far, so good, crossing 2000 words after an hour and a half of writing yesterday. Going to try for some more today. My goal this year officially is 55,000 words. I would _really_ like 60,000 just to say I was able to make it.

Other complications: the blogging I do for the Company. That's at least an hour or two once a week to develop the topic, edit what I have written (sometimes rather poorly I might add) and then send it through the social media whirlwind.

But I can't abandon the idea of NaNo after nine years. I like the dedication I am required to have to help hone discipline I rarely use in the rest of my life. Although, upon brief reflection that discipline would serve me better if I used it more often outside of NaNoWriMo.

Time to get cracking. Another 2000 words await being placed on the page.

1 comment:

  1. Can you shortcut the blogs by posting photos - that are worth 1,000 words - and save the majority of brain power for the books?

    ReplyDelete